I’ve been tagged by Jae to join in on the Meet My Main Characters Blog Tour. Jae, for any of you who may not know, is an award-winning author of TONS of books. She and I were formerly at L-Book, but Jae is now publishing with Ylva, a most excellent company. She recently released a reedited version of Conflict of Interest. You can meet her next main characters HERE, and check out her web site HERE.
Now, for the introductions to my main characters in my next release, Hear the Last Unicorn.
1) What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person? My main characters are Jules Calhoon and her partner Kelli Warren. I guess I should also throw in Jules’s ex, Donna. They are all fictional characters.
2) When and where is the story set? It’s mostly set in present-day Virginia, where Jules and Kelli live, and Ohio, where Jules is from. There are flashbacks to Jules’s years growing up with her best friend, Hobie.
3) What should we know about him/her? Jules works as a school psychologist – an interesting choice considering how she tends not to deal with problems. Kelli is a nurse in Charlottesville. Donna is a high-school history teacher.
4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life? Jules got out of her small Ohio town as soon as she could. The story begins as she has to go back for her grandfather’s funeral. Her relationship with her grandmother is not good, and being back is dragging up a lot of unpleasant memories for her. Kelli can feel Jules beginning to pull away, but can’t figure out why. Donna, though, has seen all of this happen before, because it’s exactly what ended her relationship with Jules.
5) What is the personal goal of the character? Jules just wants to forget the past. She doesn’t want to deal with it or all the things that come with it when it refuses to be buried yet again. Kelli wants to save her relationship, and in desperation turns to the only person who can help. The problem is, Donna never stopped loving Jules.
6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it? The title is Hear the Last Unicorn, and you can read an excerpt. Hear the Last Unicorn Excerpt. I will update this blog and my Facebook Author Page HERE.
7) When can we expect the book to be published? I’m looking at a publication date of January 2015.
I’ve tagged four other fantastic authors to discuss characters from their books.
Please check out their blog posts next Monday, 7 July. Have a great week, everyone, and hopefully, I’ll soon be posting from the GCLS Conference in Portland!